A driver has been sentenced after he ploughed his car into a 15-year-old girl and left her for dead.
Kwame McKenzie, of Tunstall Drive in Basford, was travelling at speeds of up to 70mph in his Vauxhall Astra when he hit Danae Mills-Beresford at the junction of Broxtowe Lane and Stockhill Lane.
Police officers had been tailing the 22-year-old at the time, after they spotted him driving erratically on the A610 on the evening of October 29, 2019.
Ms Mills-Beresford, who was 15 at the time, was flung 16 metres down the road after being hit by Mckenzie, who was travelling at double the speed limit.
Her mum, Kelly Mills, says the 16-year-old will now have to live with life-changing injuries for the rest of her life.
“My daughter has suffered so much as a result of the collision,” she said.
“The time spent in hospital, away from her family and friends, was really hard for her. She was in a lot of pain due to her injuries and this pain is something that she will have to live with for the rest of her life.
“The feeling in one of her feet has not returned and we have been told it is unlikely to at all now. She will also have to wear a splint for the rest of her life.
“She has also suffered emotionally and needs counselling to help her come to terms with what happened.
“The actions of the driver have caused all of this pain and suffering to my daughter, and I am relieved he is finally having to face up to what he has done.”
At the time of the incident, the family told Nottinghamshire Live Ms Mills-Beresford could have lost her right leg due to a blood clot.
An Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) investigation was launched as a result of the police chase, but it was later found the officers were following all the relevant policies and guidance at the time.
After hitting Ms Mills-Beresford, McKenzie continued driving his smashed-up Astra before veering off the road in Bells Lane and crashing into a tree.
He then fled the scene on foot, dropping his jacket containing his mobile phone, and this evidence was later used to prosecute him.
The victim’s family launched an appeal to find the man who hit their daughter, and he handed himself in to the police four days later.
He pleaded guilty to causing serious injury by dangerous driving and failing to stop at the scene of a road traffic collision.
Appearing at Nottingham Crown Court on Friday, February 26, he was jailed for two years.
He was also disqualified from driving for three years.
Case investigator Louise Melbourne, of Nottinghamshire Police’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit, said: “This was an absolutely appalling and inexcusable display of driving from a young man who showed absolutely no concern for his teenage victim.
“For all he knew she could very well have been lying dead in the road as he continued his desperate but ultimately ill-fated bid to avoid capture.
“His victim, a young woman with her whole life ahead of her, could very well have been killed and must now live not only with the long-term effects of her injuries, but also with the ongoing emotional trauma of what happened on that evening.
“I want to thank her and her family for their courage and support throughout the investigation. I would also like to thank the members of the public who assisted on the night of the collision, and with the investigation.”