There are bridges to be found all over Nottinghamshire, including some purpose-built for walking or cycling across picturesque settings like country parks.
Others are railway viaducts built more than a century ago that are now only open to cyclists and walkers.
The county has many of these bridges, and they are all open to the public for visiting free of charge.
Ornamental Bridge – Clumber Park
This bridge in the country park in Worksop was only reopened last year after repairs.
The Ornamental Bridge at the National Trust country park had many of its railings and balusters destroyed in March 2018, with an abandoned, burnt out car left next to the damage.
Now closed to walkers, the bridge is still open to walkers and cyclists.
The bridge forms part of a walking and cycling route around Clumber Park that is more than 3 miles in total.
Fledborough Viaduct is a former railway viaduct near Fledborough, Nottinghamshire, which is now part of the national cycle network.
Built in 1897, the viaduct closed to rail travel in 1980
Today the railway track running east from the site of Fledborough station through North Clifton to Doddington & Harby forms an off-road part of National Cycle Route 647.
From Harby onwards through the site of Skellingthorpe almost to Pyewipe Junction the viaduct forms an off-road part of National Cycle Route 64.
At the village of Gunthorpe, a bridge stretches across the River Trent.
The current bridge was built in 1927, 400 metres upstream from the old one, with new bypass roads for Gunthorpe and East Bridgford village.
It is open to cyclists and has walking paths on each side.
Trent Bridge is looking even more impressive given its recent paint job.
Historically the gateway into the city from the south, this bridge crosses over the River Trent and is still used by countless commuters today.
It is an iron and stone road bridge built in 1871.
The bridge was designed by Marriott Ogle Tarbotton and was completed at a cost of £30,000 (equivalent to £2,813,922 as of 2019).
Cyclists can make use of the bridge and so can pedestrians crossing over either side.
Wilford Toll Bridge
Wilford Toll Bridge was originally opened as a toll bridge for general traffic in 1870, but was closed when declared unsafe in 1974.
Following the demolition of the central span, a narrower footbridge and cycleway was opened in 1980.
The bridge was again widened to accommodate an extension of the NET tram network in 2015.
Parts of the northern side of the bridge are Grade II listed, including the former toll house.
King’s Mill Viaduct
A railway viaduct in Nottinghamshire built more than 200 years ago is the oldest in England.
Mansfield’s King’s Mill Viaduct was built by Josiah Jesop in 1817 and was a ‘vital’ part of life in the town during the 1800s.
And it’s still used today, although not for the railway but as a public walkway.
Wilford Suspension Bridge
This bridge plays a more vital role around the city than some may realise.
Originally known as the Welbeck Suspension Bridge, Wilford Suspension Bridge is a footbridge aqueduct, and also carries a gas main.
It links West Bridgford to the Meadows and was originally built in 1908 before it was rebuilt in 2010.
The bridge is owned by Severn Trent Water meaning there is no public right of way along the bridge, and so it can be closed by Severn Trent Water whenever it is deemed necessary to do so.